Tuesday 21 April 2009

Spring: A Magical Time for Walking in Tenerife

If you happen to be staying on Tenerife at the moment, take my advice and head into the hills at the first opportunity, the landscape is ablaze with a spectacular display of wild flowers. Possibly one of the best areas to experience nature’s artistic hand is in the northwest hills around Santiago del Teide, El Tanque and above Garachico.

It’s a few weeks since we walked in that area and at that point the hedgerows and borders of the little agricultural allotments were just beginning to fill with profusions of scarlet, violet and buttercup yellows.When we travelled the road the other day there were stretches where carpets of vividly coloured wild poppies covered the verge; it was stunning and I wished I’d had my walking boots in the car so I could just park up and head off along the first path I saw.

2 comments:

Canarybird said...

Oh that must have been beautiful to see all those wild poppies in different colours! One day I must go and look. I've only heard about the expanses of wild spring flowers here but never been at the right time. Sharon.

Real Tenerife said...

Yes it is. Though most of the poppies are the colour of the ones in the photo; the purples and the yellows are provided by other wild flowers (might be yellow daisies, but I'm not sure what the violets/purples are).